I was looking at my old school report cards, I.E.P.s
(Indiviualized Education Plans - meeting had every year which I barely remember as I'm sure I tuned them out most of the time as it was my mom talking with the teachers about me and requiring me to agree with whatever they were already doing over and over with little understanding of it all. I did understand some of it at the time, but much of it like the reasons given for me to recive services and why went over my head)
and some medical records from when I was very young (birth, 11 mos, 6 yrs, 7 yrs).
My Kindergarten teacher (one of my favorite teachers as a kid) wrote a letter to someone either at the school or related to my stuff back then (I had almost a year of Language and Speech Therapy before Kindergarden). In the letter my Kindergarten teacher expressed how amazing she thought 6 year old me was and wanted me tested to see if I was a genius (we didn't know back then that I was Autistic). She did comment on my having what was repeatedly called an "Audio-Visual" problem where in my hearing was normal(they tested for that) but I had trouble with following directions as if I didn't hear them or didn't remember they past having heard them. Another term that shows up through the records is "Short-Term Memory" impairment(actual word meant the same but started with 'd' - not delay or disability or disorder).
I only came to understand this fact of my life in my mid-late 20's and until looking at these papers I did not have a name for it or know it was a short-term memory problem.
I was told by my doctor(who was formerly one of my pediaritions) that I had Spastic Diplegia in my legs - I was in my late teens - early 20's then and had no memory of hearing that term or diagnosis before. In the records from when I was tested at age 6 the same diagnosis is discribed and clarified to as a form of Cerebral Palsy.
Thursday, April 18, 2019
Is Ignorance Bliss? Part II
Labels:
1980s,
1990s,
80s,
90s,
Autism,
California,
childhood,
ex-preemie,
falling through the cracks,
ignorance
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment